Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Do you seek acceptance?



No mater what role a person takes in life se all seek some acceptance form someone otherwise one would be totally alone. Wise men (women too) seek acceptance from God first and foremost. Acceptance as one’s self should be next followed by the people around you (wife, husband,etc). I have know people who were more concerned about the acceptance of others than the acceptance of themselves, acceptance of themselves over that of God and at the bottom of the list, acceptance by people they don’t even know above all, no mater the price.

I will NOT address your acceptance from/to God here; this is something between you and him.

In the movie “Pretty Woman” one plot followed the fact that Edward Lewis only stays in the penthouse of the best hotel, orders food he does not like and acts the way he does because his “acceptance” in the business world, he is judged by that. While this is totally a media created fantasy of life, it carries truth among those in that environment. Acceptance from the crowd… just a different one.

People act a different way at home than they do at a dinner party (good perhaps or they not get invite to next one), men at a sporting event will paint their face (and some other parts as well) in order to gain the most acceptance of the team and other fans they wish to be accepted by.

We have different uniforms of acceptance, identifying with a specific religion or faith. I have attended a few churches in my days; I notice how different people can “act” for a couple hours each week in contrast to the other 99% of their lives. Why? They are seeking acceptance from the congregation not the Master.

Some one said to me “why on earth would you want to wear a kilt?” My first thought was why on earth does it matter? I do think I know why the question was asked; they were questioning their own acceptance. Perhaps they saw something they did like but it is not seen as an accepted activity in their eyes. I read on a religious website on the subject of fashion “would you want to stand before God wearing what you have on?” ….. Sure I would!

The follow the flock attitude is rampant, everywhere. Even among those who say they desire to be different, different than what, You and I? Some do and have achieved great success with it. Green spiked hair, fully tattooed head, enough metal in their face to make a set of cookware and the baggy pants that show the boxers/rump.

The tattoo and body piercing sect have a large and growing following. I for one have no problem if you have or want one. Should you should decide that is something you would like to have, just make sure you can live with the “Forever Jane” ……forever.... because I don't think it will be well accepted by your new wife Betty.

0 comments: